Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Happiness Project - Feb




I settled into the couch last night while Justin worked on his blog and we turned Netflix onto The Office reruns. Now, I know I need to post Chapter 1 thoughts and what not but I wanted to post this today so I wasn't too far behind. Chapter 2 was really awesome... awesome because it made me look at the way I talk, act and respond to loved ones in my life. The other night at dinner I totally made an ass out of myself. Justin was telling a joke and I corrected him in front of everyone, and what I was correcting wasn't even wrong. I shouldn't have done it, it was a bratty move and I regretted it as soon as I did it. Chapter 2 just reinforced that, Yep I am a brat. However, there is still hope. 

So Chapter 2 is all about Love and how to be a better partner and make things easier on everyone. G's topics to work on this month are:


1. Quit nagging: Bahaha. I am a nagger. Babe, take out the trash. Babe, take out Buster.  Babe, make the bed. Babe, why didn't you take out the trash?

I liked her ideas of the one word suggestions. Such as CAMERA - saying camera would remind whoever to grab it and be done with it and if they forgot the camera, so what? If something really needs done so bad that I can't stand if it doesn't get done then why shouldn't I just do it?


2. Don't expect praise or appreciation: I am guilty of this. I like being appreciated and I like praise. But why?  Why shouldn't I just do something because I want the recipient to enjoy it? Must.work.on.this.


3. Fight Right: G says something to the point of how a couple fights matters more than how much they fight - how true! I really feel that J and I fight right, for the most part. Our fights are always over stupid stuff (like placement of our new couch) but I really think that all  most of our fights could be avoided if I counted to three and asked myself if what we were fighting about mattered. 

4. No dumping: Don't bring up everything at once, don't let your emotions from other aspects of life effect what is going on at that moment. Falls into fighting right again to me.

5. Give proofs of love. I can and will do better with this, Justin is great at it. I get flowers just because it is Tuesday for Pete's sake. I can't remember the last time I did something just because for him. He deserves it. And again I will do better.


I think G did a great job with examples in this chapter, too. The part where she was talking about her MIL B'day party made me tear up. I want to show the people I care about how much they mean to me - I need to be more thoughtful and put more time and thought into my actions. I am hoping that the next 12 days help me become more aware and help me set better love patterns for the rest of my life.

For more info on the Book Club, The Happiness Project or to see what others had to say about Chapter 2 go visit Liz  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment