Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Happiness Project - INTRO

On January 3rd I wrote this post, Happiness? Can you Have it all? I am very, very blessed. I love my life. I have a good job, a great family, the best friends and I have found the love of my life. Things are moving in the right direction and I am happy. But I am not sure I am completely the happiest I can be.

I started reading The Happiness Project (THP from here on out) last night. I only read the Intro last night, as much as I wanted to dive into Chapter 1 I really wanted to reflect on the Intro and what Gretchen was saying. There are so many amazing quotes and passages just in these short few pages. It gave me a lot to think about. When she asked how she could discipline herself to feel grateful for an ordinary day, my heart stopped. I am always looking for the next thing to conquer, the next thing I have to do. I really don't stop often enough to smell the roses.  Appreciate the small stuff.

My favorite quote from the Intro has to be "I am happy - but I'm not as happy as I should be. I have such a good life, I want to appreciate it more - and live up to it better.... I complain too much, I get annoyed more than I should. I should be more grateful. I think if I felt happier, I'd behave better..." After I read that I made Justin pay attention to me so I could read it to him. I felt that passage in the book best described me. I AM HAPPY. But my attitude is very bratty and unappreciative. Don't I owe to myself, my family, my friends and Justin to be the best me I can?

I have not created my 12 Commandments yet, My hope and goal is to reflect on them and create them this weekend.  I am not sure if I am going to share them or not, but I'll at least acknowledge the progress. I felt so empowered after reading just the Intro, I am hoping that I really can reflect while reading this book and make some serious life changes so I can be the best me.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that the intro is making you look into your life, it totally had the affect on me as well, that's why I felt it was my calling this year for all the blog girls!!

    ReplyDelete